Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Gaming in a Lost world

We've moved on from Understanding Comics to writing/drawing them. I'm not sure which word to use there. Anyway, Monday last week we continued scripting in CBML, the Comic Book Markup Language. It's similar to HTML but is made for some kind of translator that will make it more comic-like.

Yesterday we talked with Steven Jones over Skype about the first chapter of The Meaning of Video Games: Gaming and Textual Strategies. This chapter explained the game elements found in Lost that, as Jones confirmed to us, the writers did have in mind (see: Myst). I have to say, however, that I think the real appeal of Lost is in it's loose, free scenarios that slip between your arms when you're finally wrapped around them. I didn't see the last episode, but apparently the end wasn't necessarily the end and was more of a "cop out," as Jones put it. They should just do some movies, like the Firefly crew did. But wait, this is Lost... I liked the show, really, but after missing a few episodes, and with responsibilities to take care of, it just slipped away from me. In any case, Meaning should be a really fun read.

I wonder how this CBML project is going to work. I think that in order for the text balloons and sound effects to be where we want them, we would have to specify coordinates for the balloons to go. I could probably write a processing program for this, but I wonder if it would detract from the learning goal here. I believe part of the goal is to understand the effort that goes into comic making, or at least the "going through the motions" of it. I really want to see my Blade comic in full form, though. Or would it be manga?

No comments:

Post a Comment